The Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $70 million in support of a healthy democracy. More information about the Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice may be found at www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
The Executive Assistant provides high-level administrative and project support to Democracy Fund’s Vice President of Strategy and Program, as well as the President. The Executive Assistant serves as point of contact for external constituencies, coordinates meetings and events of the Strategy and Program team, and oversees process improvements to enhance the productivity of both executives.
The Executive Assistant, working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment, will bring keen attention to detail while exercising good judgment and discretion in handling sensitive relationships and projects. The successful candidate will be resourceful, highly collaborative, possess strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and excel at managing a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Able to work independently on projects from conception to completion, the ideal candidate will enjoy meeting deadlines, making processes run smoothly, and enhancing internal communications.
The Executive Assistant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
High-Level Administrative Executive Support
- For both the Vice President and President: manage appointments, draft and edit correspondence, manage and support meeting and event planning, plan and organize travel, complete expense reports, and work with IT staff to support technology needs
- For Democracy Fund board of directors: provide support for ongoing meetings with individual board members, including scheduling meetings, preparing materials, taking notes, and coordinating follow up
- For executives’ meetings: assure proper preparation, including working with staff to ensure compilation of relevant background information and coordinate follow-up communications
- Regarding incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Vice President and/or President, including those of a sensitive and confidential nature, prioritize and determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response, and ensure follow-up
- Work closely with both executives to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities
- Have a hands-on approach; handle matters proactively by following up and following through, and prioritizing conflicting issues in a logical and sensible manner
- Track, manage, and follow up on external contacts made by the Vice President and President with professionalism and discretion, cultivating ongoing relationships as needed
- Collaborate and work seamlessly with executive assistants across The Omidyar Group (of which Democracy Fund is a part)
- Cultivate trust in working with diverse external contacts and internal staff by acting with integrity and professionalism, grace, and credibility while maintaining discretion and confidentiality in all working relationships
- Support management of contracts, invoices, sponsorships, and grants that come from the President’s office and the Strategy, Impact, and Learning team
- Coordinate meetings, events, and provided other support as needed of the Strategy, Impact, and Learning team
- Actively work to support the success of other members of the entire Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy
- 5-10 years of experience supporting C-level executives, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Excellent organization and follow through that reflect well-honed skills to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly, with excellent attention to detail
- Superb interpersonal skills and proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, and external partners who bring a diversity of perspectives and lived experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated pro-active approaches to problem-solving and exercising excellent judgment in difficult situations with proven ability to decipher what is important and what can wait and to make solid decisions in support of the organization’s executives
- Resourceful team player who works well independently
- Trusted professional with proven experience to handle confidential information with discretion, adaptable to various competing demands, and naturally seeks the highest level of customer service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines and is motivated by them
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable in working in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment
- High comfort with Microsoft Office and proficiency preferred in working with Mac environment, Adobe Acrobat, Salesforce, and Social Media web platforms
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
Position is based in Washington, DC.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. No calls please.
The Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. The Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.