The Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $50 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, the Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C. More information about the Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice may be found at www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
The Democracy Fund seeks to hire an energetic Office Assistant with a “hospitality first” mindset to support all of the organization’s operations. These include office administration, meeting and event logistics support, IT and contract management, and other duties to create a smooth-running and collaborative work environment for the mission-driven Democracy Fund team. We are looking for a self-motivated, focused, and pro-active team player, who has had success supporting senior staff and who enjoys being helpful and improving office environments. Strong candidates will be highly organized, friendly, meticulous, and excellent communicators.
The Office Assistant, who will report to the Operations Manager, will engage with all members of the Democracy Fund team as well as external operations partners. This position, which is non-exempt, pays overtime, as regular hours are likely to equal or exceed 45 hours/week.
- Administer the day-to-day operations of the office, including but not limited to, opening and closing duties for the office, helping to prepare conference rooms for meetings, managing catering orders, ordering and stocking office and kitchen supplies and equipment, identifying ways to save on office expenses, maintaining office and kitchen areas and equipment, and ensuring appropriate security
- Welcome all guests; respond with a warm, problem-solving approach to inquiries from outsiders and staff, referring as necessary to the appropriate parties
- Maintain Democracy Fund’s online and paper filing systems
- Help create and actively maintain an operations administration manual
- Learn and implement best practices for office management and gain satisfaction when strengthening and growing a productive and collaborative work environment and culture
IT & Systems
- Be available to provide routine IT and AV support to Democracy Fund staff, in partnership with our external IT firm and the Operations Manager
- Pro-actively research and work with the Operations Manager to implement and regularly review technology solutions that increase the productivity of the team and security of the organization
- Coordinate and assist Operations Manager in the development and implementation of user trainings for new and ongoing systems.
- Administer transmission of all contracts and other documents through DocuSign
- Maintain an accurate listing of all contracts and balances
- Support HR team during onboarding of new employees, which includes but is not limited to compiling orientation material, setting up new computers and desks, and adding staff to various operations systems
- Provide assistance and logistical support for all-staff retreats, events, and trainings
Operations Team Support
- Partner with the Operations Manager to track the Operations Team’s annual expenditures
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Grants Management & Operations and Operations Manager, including with scheduling, filing, and expense reimbursement
- Provide logistical support for operations team meetings and retreats
- Serve as a backup, when needed, for accounts payable and grant administration functions
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- 3+ years of experience working in an office environment supporting senior staff or project teams. Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Quick learner with new software systems, and proficiency with MS Excel; Mac experience preferred. While not required, applicants should note if they have experience with Expensify, Zoom, DocuSign, Vidyo, Fluxx, Box, or Replicon
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and rigorous attention to detail required
- Professional maturity, high sense of personal responsibility and integrity, proven ability to exercise discretion and good judgment
- Organized and results-oriented self-starter, who enjoys problem-solving, is committed to excellence, and possesses a strong sense of urgency
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team
- High school diploma required
- Passion for strengthening American democracy
- Position is based in the Washington, D.C. area.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in the position. No phone calls please.
The Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. We welcome and encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic backgrounds, countries of origin, religions, disability statuses, sexual orientations, genders, and/or gender identities to apply.