The Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $70 million in support of a healthy democracy. More information about the Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice may be found at www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
The Democracy Fund seeks to hire its first Information Technology (IT) Senior Administrator with a “teamwork first” mindset to support the organization’s IT operations. The IT Senior Administrator will provide desktop and technology support for Democracy Fund in an all-Mac environment, working with staff to ensure the highest data security standards, striving for continuous improvement in operations, and training staff on best practices that enhance productivity and promote excellence in data and network security. The IT Senior Administrator will work with senior staff and external partners to develop and implement a strategic approach to the organization’s information systems. The successful candidate will be motivated, focused, highly organized, meticulous, humble, friendly, an excellent communicator, and customer-service oriented. The ideal candidate will possess a track record of effective staff support, enjoy improving office environments and helping others, and excel technically.
The IT Senior Administrator, who will report to the Operations Manager, will engage with all members of the Democracy Fund team as well as external IT partners and organizations.
The IT Senior Administrator’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Desktop, Tech and AV Support
- Manage the day-to-day IT operations of the office and provide routine IT and AV support to all Democracy Fund Staff
- Manage network operations. Typical responsibilities include: troubleshooting connectivity problems; installing and maintaining routers, switches and other network components; on-boarding and off-boarding users; assigning rights and access; resetting passwords; assigning e-mail addresses; assessing and reporting operational status; performing backups and restores
- Support of the People Team in on-boarding new employees includes setting up new computers and stations, adding staff to various operations systems, training new hires on using our systems and applications, setting up and explaining PGP encryption protocols, and using Mac computers and AV equipment throughout the office
- Provide AV and IT Support for all-staff events, trainings, and retreats
- Support Operations Manager in tracking IT annual expenditures and inventory
- Liaise and manage office telecommunications system and relationships with vendors
- Coordinate and assist Operations Manager in developing and implementing user trainings for new and ongoing systems
- Deliver trainings in a clear, compelling, and concise manner across all levels of the organization regarding IT improvements and changes
- Assist Operations Manager in regularly documenting learnings, processes, and trainings
Data Security and Management
- Manage data security oversight and back-up functions to ensure operational sustainability and compliance with organizational and legal requirements
- Conduct weekly and daily reports on our cloud-based applications to ensure compliance to policies
- Update Democracy Fund’s GPG keys on a regular basis and advise staff in troubleshooting common issues with email encryption
Project Management and Continuous Improvement
- Pro-actively seek out, research and work with the Operations Manager to implement and regularly review technology solutions to optimize the productivity of the team and security of the organization
- Assist Operations Manager in coordinating and managing IT projects and improvements on time and within budget
- Support Operations Manager in evaluating IT vendors, software and solutions, and planning and set-up of IT infrastructure during physical expansion
- Communicate regularly on progress of IT projects and support, evaluating and applying learning to improve customer service, systems, and support.
- Actively work to support the success of other members of the entire Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Passion for strengthening American democracy
- 4+ years of experience providing desktop and hardware support in a Mac environment. Apple Certified Support Professional Certification and JAMF Certification a plus.
- Excels technically, is a quick learner with new software systems, and highly proficient in supporting Mac computers and servers. While not required, applicants should note experience with data encryption, PGP, JAMF/Casper, MacMail, Okta, Salesforce, Zoom, Office 365 Administrator, Slack, Vidyo, Fluxx, and Box
- Motivated to stay abreast of technological changes and enjoys innovating for productivity improvement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and rigorous attention to detail required
- Readily analyzes multiple and diverse sources of information to define problems accurately before moving to solutions
- Enjoys teaching and supporting others with patience and humility
- Professional maturity, high personal responsibility and integrity, proven ability to exercise discretion and good judgment
- Organized and results-oriented self-starter, enjoys problem-solving, is committed to excellence, and possesses a strong sense of urgency
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity and working in a changing and fast paced enviroment
- College degree or strong relevant experience and certifications
- Position is based in the Washington, DC, area.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. No calls please.
The Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. The Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.