Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations who defend democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just, resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation, learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of any system, whether it is our organization or the American political system. As grantmakers we focus on listening and being of service to our grantees, who are visionaries and our collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed diversity, equity, and inclusion as values central to the success of our work and mission.
This position is part of our Operations team, which serves as the backbone for the organization. The team focuses on creating a more resilient organization that embodies our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our leadership, operations, and grantmaking practices. We work to create a culture where everyone feels they belong and can thrive.
Democracy Fund seeks to hire an energetic Information Technology (IT) Associate, with a “hospitality first” mindset, to support the organization’s IT operations. Responsibilities include:
- Providing organization-wide desktop and technology support, working with staff to ensure the highest data-security standards, while striving for continuous improvements in operations.
- Coaching and training new and current staff on best practices for enhanced productivity and excellence in data and network security.
- Working in conjunction with senior staff and external partners to develop and implement a strategic approach to the organization’s information systems.
We are looking for a self-motivated, focused, and proactive team player, who has had success supporting senior staff and enjoys being helpful and improving office environments. Strong candidates will be highly organized, friendly, meticulous, and excellent communicators. This role has responsibility for customer support, interface integration, configuration, enhancement, testing, and troubleshooting for systems, which include, but are not limited to, Okta, Adaptiv, Fluxx, Zoom, Intacct, and Slack. The successful candidate will be adept at focusing on multiple projects, solving problems, and learning quickly in a fast-paced work environment. The ability to explain solutions to people with all levels of IT knowledge is crucial.
The IT Associate will report to the IT & Operations Manager and engage with all members of the Democracy Fund team, as well as external partners.
IT AND SYSTEMS
- Manage the day-to-day IT operations of the office, including routine IT and AV support to Democracy Fund staff, in partnership with our external IT firm and the IT & Operations Manager.
- Track IT annual expenditures.
- Document learnings, processes, and trainings.
- Proactively research and work with the IT & Operations Manager to implement and regularly review technology solutions that increase the productivity of the team and security of the organization.
- Support the HR team during onboarding of new employees. This work includes setting up new computers and stations, adding new staff to various operations systems, coaching them on how to efficiently use our systems and applications, and setting up and explaining PGP encryption protocols.
- Provide AV and IT support for all-staff retreats, events, and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
TEAM MEMBER AND COLLABORATOR
- Promote a high-performance, continuously improving team culture that values learning and quality.
- Bring enthusiasm and a positive outlook to problem-solving and day-to-day juggling of priorities.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
- High integrity that embodies and reflects Democracy Fund values.
- Four years or more of experience working in desktop and hardware support in a Mac environment. ACMT certification, Jamf knowledge, and Okta a plus.
- Quick learner with new software systems and proficiency in supporting Mac computers. While not required, applicants should note if they have experience with data encryption, PGP, Zoom, Fluxx, Box, Replicon, or Salesforce.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, especially in adapting to evolving technology.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and rigorous attention to detail.
- Professional maturity, high sense of personal responsibility, and a proven ability to exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience in related field.
The position is based in the Washington, D.C. area, with the option of working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. Proof of vaccination must be presented to enter the office building. Some travel may be required.
Salary range begins at $84,145.50 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this role, please visit the Jobs page on our website. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.