Associate Director, Communications
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations who defend democracy and challenge our political system to be more open and just. We also believe as grantmakers we must be humble and oriented towards listening and service, recognizing that our grantees are visionaries and collaborators who we want to help. The Communications team is a key strategic partner in reimagining democracy. Our motto is “bring us your endgame – the changes you want to see in the world, the actions you want people to take. We’ll bring the communication ideas to create the strongest possible impact.” Democracy Fund values communications as a lifeline to more deeply connect us with our work and partners.
Democracy Fund is seeking an Associate Director of Communications to join a dynamic team to help support leaders and organizations striving to create an open and just multi-racial democracy. This leadership role will work with the Democracy Fund enterprise to ensure the organization meets its thought leadership, communications and digital engagement goals. Sh/e should be an experienced communicator with a strategic mindset. We are looking for a connector with a demonstrated track record of managing people and creating opportunities for growth, learning, and collaboration. The ideal candidate has a strong passion for strengthening American democracy, a deep commitment to racial equity and justice and a pro-democracy agenda and thrives in a collaborative environment.
The role’s primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan and implement an overall strategic communications plan for Democracy Fund to highlight core organizational priorities.
- Oversee the development of an enterprise communications strategy, including deploying tactics to support our strategic plan, new research, external activities, stakeholder communications, media mentions, etc.
- Assist the Sr. Director with long-term strategic communications efforts to center BIPOC grantees and initiatives.
- Identify target audiences—including key stakeholders in philanthropy, advocacy, media, academia, and the private sector—for projects, events, and publications.
- Focus on programmatic brand positioning; contribute to DF overall brand positioning.
- Position communication strategies to support fundraising and development efforts.
- Write compelling communications content, ability to distell down complex information into manageable pieces. (I.e., statements, emails, op eds, and blog posts)
- In collaboration with the Sr. Director advise on communications-related issues, including crisis communications and positioning of the program's work externally.
- In collaboration with the comms content specialist, maintain a robust editorial calendar and, with communications team, manage production of all content, including, new research, blog posts, testimony, and newsletters every year.
- Supervise and support the comms content specialist to ensure deliverables are developed and produced in line with DF brand standards.
- Manage the production of digital communications assets for email, social media, and the website.
WEBSITE AND DIGITAL STRATEGY
- Work with digital communications associate/consultants staff to adjust DF/V digital footprint and content to improve user experience.
- Collaborate with digital communications associate on DF/Vsocial media strategy and grow engagement on digital outreach channels.
- Continually update production procedures to meet evolving best practices and ensure digital platforms are of the highest quality.
TEAM MEMBER AND LEADER
- Empower direct report(s) to do their best work by providing ongoing guidance, coaching, and feedback on their core day-to-day responsibilities, project management goals, and overall professional development.
- Serve as a team player with the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively.
- Work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Work to develop and support strong cross-organizational connections with other programmatic staff and the management team.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency and that drives towards impact through continuous improvement and learning.
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. At least 10 of experience in strategic communications in philanthropy, advocacy, government relations, or an equivalent form of specialized expertise.
- Demonstrated success managing people and high-performing teams, nurturing ethical and high-performance cultures, investing in talent, and cultivating exceptional leaders.
- Experience operating in high-stakes environments and producing high-quality, accurate messaging and frameworks.
- High level of flexibility and creativity with the ability to solve problems and identify creative approaches to challenges.
- Experience building effective networks of diverse actors (civil society, public and private sector actors, and multi-stakeholder initiatives) that materially improve investment and programmatic outcomes.
- Excels at working collaboratively with staff at all levels to execute duties; proven talent in ensuring positive, proactive, responsive relationships within and across departments.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of work quality.
- A high level of integrity that embodies and reflects Democracy Fund values.
- This position will eventually be based in Washington, D.C. but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
Salary range begins at $149,040 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume: https://democracyfund.org/who-we-are/jobs/. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.