Associate Director, Elections & Voting
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations that defend democracy and challenge our political system to be more open and just. We believe that experimentation, learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of any system, whether it is our organization or the American political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening and serving our grantees, who are visionaries and our collaborators.
Voting is the single most significant way Americans exercise political power. The Elections & Voting Program works to ensure that all Americans, especially those who have been historically underrepresented at the polls, have the opportunity to fully participate in the democratic process and freely vote for the candidates and issues representing their communities.
The Associate Director will help lead and strengthen the Elections & Voting Program’s work to create a more equitable and accessible election system and empower communities to defend voting rights when they are threatened. The Associate Director will also help coordinate this work with Democracy Fund’s other programs, with other foundations, and with election field leaders and organizations.
Reporting to the Elections & Voting Program Director, the Associate Director will help manage a growing team of staff and projects across the program, with a particular focus on strengthening our grantmaking processes, internal communications, and team operations.
The successful candidate will be a systems thinker and builder who can drive impact while cultivating the internal organization needed to achieve our goals. We are looking for a connector with a demonstrated track record of managing people and creating opportunities for growth, learning, and collaboration. This role will work with the Program Director and Elections & Voting team members to develop the next phase of our strategies, support learning and team growth, and contribute to shaping Democracy Fund’s strategy and position in the field.
This position also supports the work of Democracy Fund Voice, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization.
● Work with the Program Director to lead overall efforts in the program, including management of staff, consultants, programming, grantmaking, and team operations.
● Manage a portfolio of grants with other program staff, including identifying, shaping, and preparing grants for consideration by the Program Director, investment committee, and board of directors.
● Build meaningful relationships with current grantees and support them to be as effective as possible.
● Monitor the field and engage in outreach to develop a pipeline of new grantees who can help meet the goals of an evolving strategy.
● Through events, communications, and network building, maintain and support communities of practice that foster collaboration across grantees and partners to expand impact.
● Support the Program Director and Learning Manager in tracking key impact metrics and monitoring the field for learning and systems change, and actively use that information to realign strategies and tactics as needed.
COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH
● Represent Democracy Fund publicly at events and in partnerships in a manner consistent with our mission and values.
● Strengthen philanthropic partnerships by maintaining strong relationships with partner funders, developing new relationships, and advising donors and foundations on effective elections and voting investments.
● Drive more funding that is aligned with Democracy Fund goals and supports our grantees.
TEAM LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
● Collaborate with the Program Director to set ambitious, motivating, and realistic priorities for the Elections & Voting Program and its impact on the field.
● Develop, manage, and contribute to cross-team and cross-organization programmatic efforts and special projects.
● Empower direct reports to do their best work by providing ongoing guidance, coaching, and feedback on their core day-to-day responsibilities, project management goals, and overall professional development.
● Serve as a leader within the organization by helping develop meaningful cross-team collaborations and participating in strategic planning, and serve as a liaison between the Elections & Voting Program and other Democracy Fund departments, particularly the Grants team.
● Actively work to support the success of other members of the Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
● A passion for strengthening American democracy.
● Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
● At least eight years of experience working in roles that engage in questions related to multiracial democracy, elections, and voting rights.
● At least three years of demonstrated management responsibilities. Significant experience supervising staff and supporting their progress toward goals. Proven ability to provide useful feedback and develop and inspire staff.
● Strategic thinker and innovative problem-solver, including a proven ability to create and manage organizational change.
● Previous grantmaking experience, including developing projects, assessing nonprofit organizations, and managing grantee relationships.
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the willingness and ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse leaders and stakeholders from across the political spectrum and different walks of life.
● Track record of successful project management and working across diverse teams. Ability to evaluate, improve, manage, and maintain systems and processes that help teams execute programs.
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels, with a proven talent in ensuring positive, proactive, responsive relationships within and across departments for compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness.
● Interest in employing a systems approach to change, with an ability to synthesize complex, nuanced information and develop innovative solutions and a collaborative, strategic, and empathetic approach to work and planning.
● This position will eventually be based in Washington, D.C., but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
Salary range begins at $149,040 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume through our Jobs page. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.