Team Coordinator, Just & Inclusive Society
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations that defend democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just, resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation, learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of any system, whether it is our organization or the American political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening and being of service to our grantees, who are visionaries and our collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed diversity, equity, and inclusion as values central to the success of our work and mission.
The hypothesis that lies behind the Just & Inclusive Society project is that diverse organizations and communities working together for the common good can create safe and secure communities, decrease polarization, develop a shared sense of national identity, and defend constitutional norms under attack.
The Team Coordinator provides high-level administrative and program support to the Just & Inclusive Society team. A systems thinker, the Team Coordinator is the team’s hub, connecting and working with every part of our program and with external audiences, such as grantees and partners, to support open communications, smooth collaboration, and excellence in our grantmaking. The successful candidate will help us design and manage internal team processes, coordinate meetings and events, support grantees, and provide administrative support for the team and across the organization. This role reports to the Just & Inclusive Society Interim Director.
We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment and who brings a keen attention to detail. The successful candidate will be a resourceful, highly collaborative team player who possesses strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and who excels at managing a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Able to work independently on projects from conception to completion, the ideal candidate will enjoy meeting deadlines, designing and refining seamless processes, and enhancing internal communication.
OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES
- Design and facilitate core operational systems and processes that help the team run smoothly.
- For team meetings, assure proper preparation and communication across the team by working with staff to ensure compilation of relevant background information, taking notes, and supporting follow-up actions.
- Manage scheduling for Interim Director and occasionally for individual team members.
- Work with Democracy Fund staff and consultants to manage contract administration, expenses, and invoices.
- Support team-wide budgeting processes such as annual planning, tracking spending, and regular reforecasting.
- Manage and organize team data, including contacts, files, and grantee and evaluation data. Use discretion and good judgment when managing documents with confidential information.
- Actively work to support the success of other Democracy Fund team members and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
COMMUNICATIONS AND EVENTS
- Help ensure clear communications across the Just & Inclusive Society team and between the team and the broader organization.
- Track, manage, and follow up on external contacts with professionalism, cultivating ongoing relationships as needed.
- Provide support for Democracy Fund’s sponsorships, including managing contracts and planning and preparing communications materials.
- Manage inventory of team communications materials.
- Support team-wide scheduling for regular team meetings and occasional team events.
- Manage logistics and coordinate with partners for grantee and field-building events, including grantee gatherings, partner funder events, public panels, and receptions.
- Contribute to due diligence and administration of team grantmaking.
- Support management of the Just & Inclusive Society project’s grant pipeline, tracking deadlines, and due dates for reports and payments.
- Support recurring grantee meetings, including scheduling, note taking, and sharing relevant information with the team and organization.
- Support grantee communications, including events, newsletters, and announcements.
- Collaborate with staff across the Just & Inclusive Society team to support its evolving strategy.
- Serve as a team player with the ability to build strong relationships.
- Work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Develop and support strong cross-organizational connections with other administrative staff and the Operations team to build and refine systems.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency and that drives impact through continuous improvement and learning.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
- Two to four years of experience supporting a high-performing team or senior-level management, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Proven track record of managing competing deadlines and exercising good judgement in prioritizing tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and staff events.
- Superb interpersonal skills and proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, and external partners who bring diverse perspectives and lived experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to deliver clear, concise, and accurate written work products.
- Trusted professional with proven experience handling confidential information with discretion.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable to working in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
- High comfort with Microsoft Office. Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and Salesforce web platforms preferred.
- Experience managing contracts and/or relationships with outside partners or vendors is a plus.
- Experience preparing or managing budgets and tracking expenses is a plus.
- Associate/bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
- The position will eventually be based in Washington, D.C., but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
Salary range begins at $69,449 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume through our Jobs page. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.