ABOUT DEMOCRACY FUND
Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $70 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C.
Learn more about Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice by visiting www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
The Communications Director will be a member of Democracy Fund’s senior leadership and a key partner to the Managing Director of Communications & Network in expanding Democracy Fund’s platforms for influence and in deepening the Fund’s brand and positioning.
Democracy Fund is seeking a dynamic Director of Communications to grow and lead a matrixed internal team and manage a growing network of external partnerships. You will be responsible for the development, management, and execution of a high-impact programmatic communications strategy that serves our programs and sister c4, Democracy Fund Voice. Reporting to the Managing Director for Communications & Network, the Communications Director will work collaboratively with senior leadership and program teams to create and implement communications and advocacy strategies that broaden the influence and impact of Democracy Fund, its programs, and its grantee partners. The Director of Communications will have a special focus on developing strategies and sharing learnings across Democracy Fund’s core tracks, including Effective Governance, Modern Elections, a Vibrant Public Square, and Special Projects.
The winning candidate will have direct experience successfully leading the development and management of impactful communications messages and strategies in a multi-issue organization. S/he will have a proven track record of leading a team that earns premier national coverage, understands state and regional environments, and purposefully deploys digital media, paid media, and events. S/he must have demonstrable expertise in: partnering with program staff to develop communications goals; prioritizing resources toward high-impact opportunities; and effectively serving the needs of multiple audiences across multiple channels.
The Communications Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with program leadership and staff to develop communications strategies that broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact, while also deepening understanding of Democracy Fund’s brand
- Directly lead the development of core programmatic messages and communications priorities in partnership with program teams, communications staff, and firms. Manage sequencing of messages and activities across the organization
- Work closely with the Managing Director for Communications and Network on the refinement and expansion of Democracy Fund’s brand and organizational platforms
- Identify significant media and public policy debates that can be leveraged to support Democracy Fund’s work, and then work with the Communications team to create and implement responsive plans
- Support the development and implementation of an organizational communications measurement framework
- Collaborate with the President; the Managing Director for Communications and Network; the Strategy, Impact, and Learning team; and the emerging Philanthropic Partnership team to meet their audiences’ needs
- Serve on the Democracy Fund’s Strategy Council and advise on reputational opportunities and risks of new grantee partnerships
- Support the proactive cultivation and management of press relationships to ensure coverage of Democracy Fund’s programmatic and organizational goals
- Act as ambassador for Democracy Fund, supporting the development of media relationships for the organization and for the programs
- Oversee and develop a matrixed team of 5 communications staff, augmented by firm relationships, that is responsible for high-impact organizational communications channels and has matrixed responsibilities to individual programs
- With the Communications Team, implement a strategic communications framework to help programs develop clear communications goals and to align resources in service of those goals
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function across Democracy Fund, including budget development and management and rapid response efforts
- Integrate execution of Presidential, organizational, and programmatic projects into the organizational calendar and workflows
- Serve as managing editor for the organization’s public-facing calendar, statements, content, channels, publications, and responses to inquiries
- Maintain and cultivate effective PR, polling/research, and digital firm relationships in service of the organization’s goals
Team Leader and Member
- Promote a team culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis, including but not limited to establishing and monitoring staff performance and development goals
- Actively work to support the success of the entire Democracy Fund team through the development of shared goals and setting priorities
- Cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and transparent
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy
- At least 12+ years of communications experience that includes increasing leadership responsibilities and a blend of strategy, message development, and media relations, ideally in a multi-issue organization
- Proven experience developing effective multi-channel strategies in a highly-collaborative internal environment and highly competitive communications environment
- Seasoned manager with strong record of building and maintaining trust, building teams, and managing across difference
- Graduate degree in policy, communications, or similar field is preferred but not required
- Experience in philanthropic communications a plus
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons
- Storyteller/Coach who educates the organization and public about DF’s mission and overall work
- Excellent judgment, grace under pressure, and professional maturity paired with creativity and innovative approach
- Comfort with designing and implementing public opinion polling
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Comfort working in a bipartisan political environment
- The position is based in Washington, DC.
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume here. No phone calls please.