ABOUT DEMOCRACY FUND
Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $70 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C.
Learn more about Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice by visiting www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund has grown dramatically over the last four years, and it has cultivated a diverse network of leaders committed to fostering a healthy democracy. As such, Democracy Fund is seeking its first Director of Partnerships to expand its influence by activating a powerful and diverse network of philanthropic, political, and civic leaders.
The Director, a senior leader within the organization, will lead implementation of its newly developed Philanthropic Partnerships strategy to bring new resources and leadership to the field. The Philanthropic Partnerships program will leverage Democracy Fund’s expertise, rigor, and systems approach to provide resources and direct advising to donors so they can strategically invest in innovative and successful nonprofits across the country.
The Director, reporting to the Managing Director of Communications and Network, also will oversee strategy and engagement of Democracy Fund’s National Advisory Committee, which advances the organization’s work to create a healthy democracy. Working closely with the leadership team, including the President and Senior Recruiter, the Director will join a growing Communications and Network team and manage two-full time staff and outside consultants.
Successful applicants will have a track record of success in donor activation, stewardship, and relationship activities, particularly with ultra- and high-net worth donors. The Director will bring a love of people, a comfort working across difference, and a deep talent as a strong collaborator, communicator, and strategic network builder.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct the implementation and further refinement of the organization’s Philanthropic Partnerships strategy and goals, through which Democracy Fund seeks to activate more than $100M in new donor investments to improve our democracy by 2021
- Identify and manage opportunities and events for the President and other senior staff to engage new donors and donor advisor networks. Partner in speaker recruitment and events team management to ensure seamless and highly professional engagements
- With team support, produce a major convening of new democracy funders as well as create online educational opportunities and a newsletter for our co-funder community
- Coach, train, and partner with staff across the organization who are engaging with institutional and individual donors on best practices, material review, and follow up
- Create infrastructure for the Partnerships program, including overseeing the development and maintenance of content that guides philanthropists on investment strategies in the democracy space as well as an internal donor engagement and reporting tracking system
- Manage and attend events with senior staff and build relationships directly with donors and their advisors as needed
NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- Manage the development and execution of a strategy to creatively engage the National Advisory Committee (NAC) throughout the year to increase the influence of Democracy Fund’s vision for a healthy democracy
- Oversee and collaboratively produce Democracy Fund’s semi-annual NAC strategy retreats, focused on issues and questions of critical importance to its current and future work
- Collaborate with Democracy Fund’s Senior Recruiter to nurture relationships across large pools of current, former, and potential advisors to grow a network that can diversify the experience, demographics, and perspectives of the organization while expanding its reach and impact
- Manage and improve the infrastructure that supports the National Advisory Committee, including leadership, program representatives, and consultants
- Work closely with the Managing Director and Communications Director on the refinement and expansion of Democracy Fund’s brand across partner interactions
- Collaborate with the Communications Director, Senior Recruiter, and others in identifying and engaging thought leaders, influencers, and other key audiences with whom Democracy Fund should build relationships
- With the Office of the President and Communications Director, develop infrastructure to support engagement and regular communication with influencer audiences through events, dinners, broadcast email, and personal outreach
- Oversee the implementation and adoption of Salesforce with a focus on collaboration and high adoption across the organization
TEAM AND ORGANIZATIONAL LEADER
- Partner closely with the Director of Communications to align and amplify public-facing messages and content
- Promote a team culture of positivity, high performance, and continuous improvement that values learning and quality
- Actively develop and manage two staff members, using a supportive, coaching-based approach, including but not limited to establishing and monitoring staff performance and professional development goals
- Actively work to support the success of the entire Democracy Fund team through the development of shared goals and setting priorities
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy and comfort with difference, including bipartisan audiences
- At least 10 years of experience working directly with donors and/or other VIPs, including a track record of success in donor activation, stewardship, and relationship activities
- Strong national networks within the ultra- and high-net worth donor and wealth advisor community
- Strategic mindset and highly skillful at planning, organizing, and following through, particularly with regard to project and event management
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Proven strong collaborator with a positive approach and emotional intelligence
- Confidence and capability to adapt and lead in a changing external environment while also navigating ambiguity and change inherent to a young organization while helping the organization build and maintain structures for consistency
- Willingess to travel at least monthly. Also requires occasional evening and weekend work and ability to staff events as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required (or equivalent experience)
- Position is based in Washington, DC.
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume here. No phone calls please.