Communications Manager, Just & Inclusive Society
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations who defend democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just, resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation, learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of any system, whether it is our organization or the American political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening and being of service to our grantees, who are visionaries and our collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed diversity, equity, and inclusion as values central to the success of our work and mission.
The Communications team is a key strategic partner in Democracy Fund’s work to create an inclusive, multiracial democracy. The team is focused on developing new lines of work and refreshing external strategies to meet the needs of a robust new organizational framework. That framework is built, in part, on a strong reputation in philanthropy and deep external relationships with the field.
The Just & Inclusive Society program includes an initiative aimed at strengthening the social infrastructure for racialized and marginalized communities, with a special focus on Black, Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, South Asian, and immigrant communities. In addition, the program is planning for a new initiative to build power and support leadership development for communities of color, and to explore ways to weaken the power and influence of authoritarian opponents of an inclusive, multiracial democracy.
Democracy Fund is seeking a passionate Manager of Communications to drive strategy development, implementation, and impact for two of the organization’s portfolios: the Just & Inclusive Society program and the narrative change and equity communications strategy. Reporting to the Associate Director of Communications, the manager will be a highly collaborative self-starter, able to manage cross-organizational and consultant relationships with a focus on results. The successful candidate will drive understanding and awareness of the two portfolios, as well as contribute to the management and elevation of Democracy Fund’s overall mission, vision, approach, and strategies with our external audiences.
PROGRAMMATIC COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY
- Work with the Communications team on narrative change and equity projects to create an ecosystem that allows for new voices, projects, and stories to be told and amplified.
- Working with the Just & Inclusive Society team, lead the development of robust communications strategies to support grantees and communities working together to decrease polarization, develop a shared sense of national identity, and defend constitutional norms under attack.
- Provide insights and serve as a thought partner with the Just & Inclusive Society team on grantmaking strategies related to narrative change.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY
- With the Senior Director of Communications and Equity, develop and implement the organization’s narrative change and equity communications strategy, including telling the story of Democracy Fund’s commitment to equity and the journey to live that value.
- Work collaboratively with the broader communications team to strengthen Democracy Fund’s brand and develop traditional communications tools — for example, press statements, social media content, and thought-leadership strategies.
- Ongoing monitoring of the democracy and narrative landscapes to identify partnership and positioning opportunities.
- Represent Democracy Fund within affinity groups and other partners working to build a just and inclusive society.
- Identify opportunities to position Democracy Fund and Democracy Fund Voice as a champion to strengthen American democracy.
- Manage consultant and agency relationships, budgets, and work streams to produce strategies, content, and impact.
- Build relationships with potential partners across target sectors — including philanthropy, government, and business — that share Democracy Fund’s goals.
- Implement culturally sensitive communications strategies and best practices and train colleagues across the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serve as a team player with the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively.
- Work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Work to develop and support strong cross-organizational connections with other programmatic staff and the management team.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency and that drives toward impact through continuous improvement and learning.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Passion for strengthening and building a multiracial democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
- A minimum of eight years in strategic communications with experience in multidiscipline communications, including strategy, coalition building and management, messaging, public affairs, advocacy, public relations, and/or government affairs.
- Strong fluency in culturally sensitive messaging and communications best practices.
- Significant experience developing and implementing communications strategies that advance an organization’s brand and positioning.
- The right combination of collaboration and independence; a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys crafting and implementing new insights while working with others.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on complex topics, spot opportunities, and stay ahead of communication trends.
- Solid understanding of various social media and content platforms.
- Strong project management skills.
- A high level of integrity that embodies and reflects Democracy Fund values.
- Democracy Fund follows a hybrid remote and in-the-office model, which enables flexibility and meets collaboration needs. New staff are expected to reside in the DMV, though exceptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis by the Personnel Committee. All employees, regardless of location, will be expected in the office several days a month to meet collaborations needs.
Salary range begins at $123,061.50 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume through our Jobs page. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.