The Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $70 million in support of a healthy democracy. Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C. More information about the Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice may be found at www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
The Team Executive Coordinator provides high-level administrative and project support to Democracy Fund’s Public Square team. Serving as point of contact for external constituencies, candidate will coordinate meetings and events for the entire team, and oversees process improvements to enhance their productivity. This role provides the hub for all work happening across the program and how people connect to and collaborate with it. This role reports to the Managing Director, Public Square.
We are looking for someone who loves working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment, and brings a keen attention to detail. Successful candidate is a resourceful, highly collaborative team player who, possesses strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and who excels at managing a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Able to work independently on projects from conception to completion, the ideal candidate will enjoy meeting deadlines, making processes run smoothly, and enhancing internal communications.
The Coordinator’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
High-Level Administrative Support
- For Managing Director: manage appointments, draft and edit correspondence, manage and support meeting and event planning, plan and organize travel, complete expense reports, and work with IT staff to support technology needs
- For team: manage team appointments, team meetings, and the flow of information
- For team meetings: assure proper preparation, including working with staff to ensure compilation of relevant background information and coordinate follow-up communications
- Problem-solver who can prioritize and determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response to inquires and needs to ensure timely and apprioate response
- Have a hands-on approach; handle matters proactively by following up and following through, and prioritizing conflicting issues in a logical and sensible manner
- Track, manage, and follow up on existing and incoming external contacts with professionalism and discretion, cultivating ongoing relationships as needed
- Collaborate and work seamlessly across Democary Fund and with executive assistants across The Omidyar Group (of which Democracy Fund is a part)
- Cultivate trust in working with diverse external contacts and internal staff by acting with integrity and professionalism, grace, and credibility while maintaining discretion and confidentiality in all working relationships
- Fortify team engagement and interaction through expert calendar administration
- Support management of contracts, invoices, sponsorships, and grants that come from the Public Square team
- Coordinate meetings, events, and provided other support as needed of the Public Square team
- Actively work to support the success of other members of the entire Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy
- 3-5 years of experience supporting a high performing team or senior level executive management, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Demonstrated expertise in scheduling a plus.
- Excellent organization and follow through that reflect well-honed skills to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly, with excellent attention to detail
- Superb interpersonal skills and proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, and external partners who bring a diversity of perspectives and lived experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated pro-active approaches to problem-solving and exercising excellent judgment in difficult situations with proven ability to decipher what is important and what can wait and to make solid decisions in support of the organization’s executives
- Resourceful team player who works well independently
- Trusted professional with proven experience to handle confidential information with discretion, adaptable to various competing demands, and naturally seeks the highest level of customer service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines and is motivated by them
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable in working in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment
- High comfort with Microsoft Office and proficiency preferred in working with Adobe Acrobat, and Salesforce web platforms
- Associate/Bachelors degree or relevant experience
- Comfort working in a bipartisan political environment
- The position is based in Washington, DC.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. No calls please.
The Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. The Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.