- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Communications connect us more deeply with our work and partners. By stating our vision and intention, we hope to empower and support our Communications team. The Communications team plays a critical role in helping Democracy Fund fully realize its potential as an amplifier, connector, and community builder. Our work happens through our branding efforts, both for the organization and democracy at large, and through the galvanization of internal and external thought leaders to promote our overall mission and vision for an equitable, multiracial democracy.
Democracy Fund is seeking a curious self-starter eager to support the expansion of the organization’s influence, reach, and brand in service of our mission and vision. Providing strong project management and top-notch administrative support, the Communications Coordinator will be a central member of our publlc- and partner-facing teams and an essential contributor to their success. The position focuses on providing logistical and administrative support for the Communications team, including scheduling, contract and invoice management, project management, and event planning support. The ideal candidate is a careful planner who enjoys meeting deadlines and is ready to support a high-performing team through its next phase of growth. This role is a hub for work happening across the team and helps other internal teams connect to and collaborate with Communications.
This position reports to the Managing Director, Communications & Network, and provides some support to the Senior Director, Communications & Equity.
We are looking for someone who loves working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment, and who brings a keen attention to detail. This position is ideal for either a professional executive assistant or someone who thrives on managing projects and operationalizing systems and processes to ensure team members complete tasks and collaborate efficiently.
The Communications Coordinator’s primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
HIGH-LEVEL ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT
- Problem-solve to determine appropriate course of action, meet deadlines, and ensure processes move smoothly.
- Schedule team meetings, oversee information flow across the team, and manage the calendars of the Managing Director and the Senior Director.
- Create and submit monthly corporate expense reports for the Managing Director and the Senior Director, as well as draft contracts and manage invoices for team consultants.
- With various members of the team, develop and implement new processes or platforms to increase the team’s efficacy and coordination, e.g., using project management software, such as Trello or Asana, or updating a shared calendar system.
- Collaborate and work seamlessly across Democracy Fund and with executive assistants at The Omidyar Group (of which Democracy Fund is a part).
- Work with IT staff to support team technology needs as they arise.
PROJECT SUPPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Manage special projects, including sponsorships, contracts, desk research, budgets, and strategy processes, with the Managing Director.
- Track, manage, and follow up on existing and incoming external contacts with professionalism and discretion, cultivating ongoing relationships as needed.
- Support organizational-level events, including strategy retreats and annual events.
- Research and produce briefing memos on various communications topics and issue areas.
TEAM MEMBER AND COLLABORATOR
- Promote a team culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and quality.
- Bring enthusiasm and a positive outlook to problem-solving and day-to-day juggling of priorities.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Deep passion for creating an inclusive, multiracial democracy.
- Three to five years of experience supporting a high-performing team or senior-level executive, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high-performance goals, including being motivated to meet deadlines and keep projects and priorities moving forward.
- Excellent organization and follow through that reflect well-honed skills to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly, with excellent attention to detail.
- Superb interpersonal skills and proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, and external partners who bring a diversity of perspectives and lived experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving and exercising excellent judgment in difficult situations with proven ability to decipher what is important and what can wait and to make solid decisions in support of the organization’s executives.
- Resourceful team player who works well independently and with groups.
- Trusted professional with proven experience handling confidential information with discretion, adapting to various competing demands, and naturally seeking the highest level of customer service and response.
- High comfort with Microsoft Office and proficiency preferred with Adobe Acrobat and Salesforce web platforms.
- Associate/bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
- This position will eventually be based in Washington, D.C., but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
Salary range begins at $67,100 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume: https://democracyfund.org/who-we-are/jobs/. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.